A crowd pleasing appetizer and great keto snack
When I first made my keto bread crumbs, one of the dishes I cooked up were these fish cakes. They were an instant hit with my wife, Deepti and she insisted that I make them on the show. Of course being my usual self I got distracted and forgot about them. My local fish monger recently showed up with some delicious fillets of a fish called ‘Kapi’.
I still have no idea what fish it actually is, I just know the local name and I know that it’s a flaky white fish, it’s almost like salmon. So for this recipe you can pretty much use any fish that you like, I’d recommend a nice flaky white fish. I think salmon would work well as might a cod or haddock and I think you might even enjoy this recipe with canned tuna.
Not Fish? What else can we use?
This recipe is great to make a spicy crab cake as well but if you want a more traditional American style recipe, try my original crab cakes, you can replace the regular breadcrumbs with our keto bread crumbs now. If seafood isn’t your thing this recipe can be made with chicken as well and you could even use paneer and make a paneer cutlet out of it. So it’s quite a versatile recipe and you could substitute the Indian spices with Italian herbs and the coriander with parsley to have a completely different taste. So play around with the flavour combinations and share your combos with me in the comments.
If you aren’t in the mood for fish I’ve got some other quick Keto appetizers you can make. My garlic parm chicken wings are a hit at parties. The Keto reshmi kebabs are a staple in my house and of course there is my Keto chilli paneer for the vegetarians.
Nutrition Info (Per serving)
- Calories: 170
- Net Carbs: 1g
- Carbs: 2g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 16g
- Fiber: 1g
This recipe makes 6 large fish cakes. 1 Fish cake = 1 serving. Get this recipe on myfitnesspal.
Keto Fish Cakes
- 300 grams White Fish any flaky white fish will do
- 1 Headbanger's Kitchen Keto Mug Bread I've used the coconut flour one
- 30 grams Red onion
- 10 grams Coriander
- 2 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste Try this one
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder I use this one
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder I recommend this one
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder Try this one
- 1/2 Tsp Tumeric Powder I recommend this one
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper I recommend this one
- 1 Tbsp olive oil I use this
- 1 Tbsp Butter Try this one
- 2 Eggs
- Salt to Taste
- Heat half the olive oil and half the butter in a pan and fry the fish.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper on one side while it cooks and then again when flipped over.
- Once cooked and rested transfer the fish to a large bowl and mash with a fork to create small flakes
- Add in keto bread crumbs made with the mug bread along with the onion, coriander and ginger garlic paste and mix well
- Season with the salt and spices. Add in the two eggs and give it all a good mix.
- Use a cookie cutter or ring mold to shape the fish cakes. You should get about 6 large size fish cakes.
- Heat the rest of the oil and butter in the same pan and fry the fish cakes. They should take about 4 minutes per side on a medium/low flame.
- Once cooked on both sides, remove and serve.