Want to spice up your meal plan? Get ready for some crispy goodness with this black pepper squid recipe!
A Spicy Indian Style Black Pepper Squid
Seafood is not something I eat too often but I do enjoy my butter garlic prawns and my crispy fried calamari. Today I tried something new, an Indian style black pepper squid. I’m lucky to get really fresh squid where I live, all thanks to the local fisher woman who brings it home. If you like your food spicy I’d recommend adding a chopped up green chili into the mix. Hope you enjoy this popular dish—no vegetable oil or sesame oil needed. The end result? You’ll definitely want seconds!
Black Pepper Squid Ingredients
- Ghee/Clarified butter
- Ginger Garlic Paste
- Curry Leaves
- Salt to Taste
- Black Pepper
- Pinch of Turmeric
- Pinch of Red Chili Powder
- Pinch of Coriander Powder
- Mustard Seeds
Black Pepper Squid Directions
- Gather your fresh ingredients and a sharp knife. Cut and clean squid on a clean chopping board.
- Marinate with salt, pepper, turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, ginger garlic paste and curry leaves in a large bowl.
- Heat ghee in a large saucepan and fry the mustard seeds.
- Once they start popping, add in the squid and fry on a high heat for 2 minutes till the squid is cooked.
- For best results, place on a serving plate, garnish with coriander, and enjoy!
Nutrition Info (Per serving)
- Calories: 170
- Net Carbs: 4g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 15g
- Fiber: 1g
This recipe makes 2 servings. Get this recipe on myfitnesspal.
I suggest making this original recipe as intended, but if you like to get creative in the kitchen, next time you can consider using the following common ingredients when also making this dish.
- Spring onion
- Lemon juice (try fresh lemon wedges)
- Sichuan peppercorns
- Soy sauce
- White pepper
- Red chilli
- Tartar sauce
- Oyster sauce
- Hot green peppers
- Cayenne pepper
Tawa Fry Anything
You can use this recipe to fry up almost anything at all. Chicken, prawns, or even some beef. If you are vegetarian though, I’d definitely recommend trying out our Tawa Paneer recipe. I have plenty of other vegetarian-friendly recipes on my site as well.
More Delicious Keto Recipes
The following recipes also make for great keto main dishes!
What do you think about this Black Pepper Squid Recipe? Are there changes you might make? Let me know in the comments below. Also, tag me over on Instagram if you try out this original recipe, or any other recipes from my site. I’d love to see what you cook up!
Black Pepper Squid
- 200 grams Squid
- 15 grams Ghee/Clarified butter I recommend this one
- 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste I recommend this one
- 4-5 Curry Leaves I recommend these
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- Pinch of Tumeric I recommend this one
- Pinch of Red Chilli Powder I use this
- Pinch of Coriander Powder I recommend this one
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds I recommend these
- Cut and clean the squid.
- Marinate with salt, pepper, tumeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, ginger garlic paste and curry leaves
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the mustard seeds
- Once they start popping add in the squid and fry on a high heat for 2 minutes till the squid is cooked
- Garnish with coriander and serve.