Keto Thai Basil Chicken (ผัดกระเพราไก่)
A Keto Pad Krapow Gai
Thai Basil Chicken or Pad Krapow Gai is one of the most popular street foods in Thailand. It’s also one of the easiest to make. A simple stir fry of chicken with chillies, garlic, shallots and fresh basil is all that’s in this incredible dish. It’s normally served with rice and a friend egg. On Keto though we’ll serve it with cauliflower rice or lettuce cups. It’s an incredibly flavourful dish and will definitely spice up your Keto meals. Enjoy!
More Keto Thai Recipes
Nutrition Info (Per serving)
- Calories: 291
- Net Carbs: 4g
- Carbs: 4g
- Fat: 21g
- Protein: 23g
- Fiber: 0g
This recipe makes 4 servings. Get this recipe on myfitnesspal.
Keto Thai Basil Chicken
A delicious Thai street food dish
- 500 grams Ground Chicken
- 15 grams garlic
- 30 grams Shallots/Pearl Onions/Onion
- 3 Thai Bird's Eye Chilly
- 3 Tbsp Chicken Oil Get the recipe here
- 25 grams Thai Holy Basil
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce Try this one
- 1 Tbsp Soya Sauce Try this one
- 1/2 Tsp White Pepper Try this one
- 1 Tsp Erythritol or Keto Sweetener Try this one
- Salt to Taste
- In a mortar and pestle grind together the garlic, shallots and red chillies.
- Pluck the basil leaves from the stems and set them aside.
- Heat the chicken fat in a wok and once it's nice and hot fry up the ground garlic, shallots and chillies.
- Once the garlic starts to brown then add in the ground chicken and cook. Keep stirring the mixture and break up the chicken so that it doesn't clump up together.
- Add in the soya sauce, fish sauce and sweetener. Also season with white pepper and salt.
- Once the chicken starts releasing it's liquid cook till the sauce is almost dried out.
- Turn off the heat and add in the fresh basil and mix well till the basil wilts down.
- Serve in lettuce cups with a deep fried egg.
- For the fried egg just cook it in a wok on a high heat till the edges turn nice and crispy. You need to make sure there is plenty of oil in the wok. You are pretty much deep frying the egg.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Hi Sahil. Can we use Gingelly oil in place of Olive Oil ?
Some articles to read about this. I don’t use it for anything other than flavour in a salad dressing or something. It’s not recommended for regular use. https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/Complete-Guide-to-Fats-Oils-on-Low-Carb-Ketogenic-Diet
Have been a fan of your music for a long time, Saw you live a long time back in Guwahati, when you were doing a gig for some anti tobacco drive (may be you don’t even remember)
Now that I am on my keto diet, I have been a regular follower of your blog. Made this dish today, turned out to be absolutely delicious
Keep rocking mate
hey Abhranil! Yes I remember that gig. It is the longest gig DR has ever played. Am glad to hear the blog is helping you out! 🙂
Thank you so much for all you do. My mother and I are huge fans of yours. We are trying to follow a keto lifestyle for health reasons and your videos on savory dishes are our absolute favorites, and have helped us stick with this lifestyle immensely. We love the variety, flavors, your beaming personality, and the enthusiasm you show in every episode. We are also looking forward to your cookbook being available! While we prefer your main courses over desserts (trying to limit those), if you can ever offer some recipes for Keto versions of Indian sweets, or bibic from Goa, that would be fabulous! Wishing you much success.
Thank you so much Jennifer. Glad you enjoy all the videos and thank you for the kind words. I must be honest I’m not a big fan of Indian sweets so I don’t make them at all and I rarely even eat them when I am not Keto. I however promise to do try at least 1 Indian sweet sometime this year 🙂
We made this today in addition to the Thai green curry. My family loved these. Thanks so much. Love your youtube channel.
Awesome recipe! thanks so much. Ive tried this a couple times now and have it nailed… sweetness vs salty vs heat. Ive been having it on cauliflower rice and then add some Huy Fong Fresh Chili Garlic Sauce ontop… doesnt really need it but… oh man!! sooo good…
Thanks again this one is a keeper!
Glad I found this posting on Thai Basil Chicken. Love this food at my local Thai restaurant and I’m going to make it tonight at home. Keto with flavor!