I’m just a poor Biryani nobody loves me
I’m not sure if it’s just me but at least in India, pualo has always sort of been the poor man’s biryani. It’s also what biryani purists tell their vegetarian friends to call their “veg” biryani. The phrase ‘there is nothing like ve biryani, it’s called pulao’ has always made the pulao looked down upon. In fact in my opinion it’s probably something I prefer to biryani. It’s a one pot wonder that’s quick and easy to cook and full of flavour. Granted it’s not quite the royal feel of a biryani with layers of meat and rice and saffron and fried onions etc but it’s got it’s own bang for buck. Anyway enjoy the recipe.
What’s in a Biryani?
I’ve done a Keto Biryani recipe. Though my personal favourite is boneless mutton, I made it with chicken given how long it takes mutton to cook. It would require separate cooking and then pairing with the cauliflower rice. I digress, we’re talking pulao. You can make this any way you like. You can throw in veggies, paneer, some pork even, chorizo and you’ve got a meal fit for a king. One of my first cauliflower rice recipes was a chorizo pulao. Give that a try too.
Nutrition Info (Per serving)
- Calories: 456
- Net Carbs: 7g
- Carbs: 12g
- Fat: 27g
- Protein: 40g
- Fiber: 5g
This recipe makes 2 servings. Get this recipe on myfitnesspal.
Keto Chicken Pulao (Keto Pilaf)
- 300 grams Cauliflower Rice
- 300 grams Boneless Chicken Leg and Thigh Meat
- 60 grams Tomato Chopped
- 50 grams Diced Red Onion
- 2 Tbsp Ghee Try this one
- 1 Cinnamon Stick Buy Online
- 1 Bay Leaf Buy Online
- 3 Cloves Buy Online
- 3 Green Cardamons Buy Online
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds Buy Online
- 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste Try this one
- 1/2 Tsp Tumeric Powder Try this one
- 1/2 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder Try this one
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder Try this one
- 50 ml Water
- Coriander for Garnish
- Salt to Taste
- Heat up your ghee in a frying pan and fry the whole spices
- Once they start to sizzle add in the onions and cook till translucent and then add in the ginger and garlic paste and cook some more
- Add in all the powdered spices and fry for a minute before adding in the chicken and the tomato
- Season to taste and stir fry
- Add some water to make a gravy
- Pour the riced cauliflower over the curry and season once more and cover and cook for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes open and mix everything well and cover and cook till the cauliflower is nice and tender
- Finish with fresh coriander and serve.