Another Keto Fried Chicken
Chicken Farcha is probably a dish that most of you are not familiar with. It’s a fried chicken made by the Parsi community of India. It’s mildly spiced and then coated in either breadcrumbs or semolina flour, dipped in egg and then deep friend. The highlight of this dish is the mild flavour and the egg coating. This was requested by HK fan Andy Bhavsar on our HK Facebook group quite a few times and since I love the dish myself, I thought it was time to make it. Since I’ve already made a recipe for a Keto fried chicken where I made breadcrumbs using my 90 second Keto bread I wanted to do something different for this recipe. I spent some time experimenting with almond flour, coconut flour etc for deep frying to see what works best and surprise surprise it was psyllium husk that did the job. Anyway enough jibber jabber, enough the recipe.
This could also be a chicken pakora
I think if you used boneless pieces of chicken and did the same thing, you’ve got a Keto chicken Pakora. Whether you use bone in chicken or boneless, a good green chutney is a must have to accompany the dish. I did a really delicious one for my Tandoori chicken wings recipe, so check it out and use that recipe. Cooking this chicken properly though is a pressure point. The reason being that egg cooks very fast and depending on the size of the chicken piece it will take much longer to cook. As I mentioned in the video it’s important to have the oil hot but not so hot that the outside browns in seconds and the inside remains raw. I do not use a deep frying so I have no clue about the cooking temperature. Like most Indian cooks/chef it’s all by look and feel and going with the flow. I did however see some recipes where the chicken was first cooked either in a pan or in the microwave and then breaded and fried, so that could be something you do to ensure a chicken piece that is cooked all the way through. Anyway, enjoy!
Nutrition Info (per serving)
- Calories: 342
- Net Carbs: 1g
- Carbs: 5g
- Fat: 20g
- Protein: 31g
- Fiber: 4g
This recipe makes 2 servings. Get this recipe on myfitnesspal.
Keto Chicken Farcha
- 2 Full Chicken Legs (Skinless) Drumstick and Thigh
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper I recommend this
- 1/2 Tsp Tumeric Try this one
- 1/2 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder Try this one
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder Try this one
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Powder Try this one
- 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste I recommend this one
- 1/2 Lime (Juiced)
- 2 Tbsp Psyillium Husk I use this
- Prepare the chicken by separating the thigh and the drum and cutting gashes into the flesh.
- Marinate the chicken with salt, pepper, tumeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, ginger garlic paste and the juice of half a lime.
- Set aside and let marinate for 30 minutes at least if not longer.
- Set up a breading station for the chicken by putting psyillium husk in a plate and crack two eggs in another.
- Season the eggs with salt and pepper and then beat them.
- Coat the chicken in the psyillium husk and then dip into the egg and then put it straight into the oil to deep fry
- Make sure the oil is not scorching hot otherwise the outside will cook fast and leave the inside raw. So cook it on a medium heat for a longer time to ensure it's cooked through
- Once done, drain on paper towls and serve with green chutney.