There is no cream in Carbonara
I love me a good Carbonara. It’s one of the simplest and most tasty Italian dishes. Of course a Keto version would replace the spaghetti with Zucchini noodles/spaghetti. Everything else remains the same. The trifecta of cheese, bacon and eggs. Good quality ingredients make the best Carbonara. Just remember there is no cream in Carbonara.
I took inspiration from the late Antonia Carluccio for this recipe. I’ve always loved his demeanor, presentation and simplicity when it comes to cooking and teaching us the art of true Italian cooking.
Keto and Italian recipes
I realized I do a lot of Italian recipes. I’m not sure if it’s because they just seem to lend themselves so well to the lifestyle and are easily adaptable or maybe I just love Italian food? I think it all started somewhere with my love for Tiramisu (I’ve made a Keto Tiramisu) . It might also have something to do with the fact that pasta has kind of been a staple in my house while growing up as well. One of my first Keto recipes was with Zucchini spaghetti where I made Keto Alfredo Fettuccine and Pesto Zucchini spaghetti. Anyway there is a whole collection of Italian recipes on the website.
Nutrition Info (Per serving)
- Calories: 601
- Net Carbs: 2g
- Carbs: 5g
- Fat: 54g
- Protein: 24g
- Fiber: 3g
This recipe makes 2 serving. Get this recipe on myfitnesspal.
- 300 grams Zucchini Spaghetti
- 200 grams Smoked Bacon Cubes
- 1 Full Egg
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 50 grams Parmesan cheese
- Fresh Pepper
- Salt to Taste
- Mix the egg, the egg yolk, the cheese and black pepper together
- Spiralize the zucchini and make the spaghetti
- Fry the bacon starting out in a cold pan to render out the fat
- Once the fat has rendered and the bacon is crisp, remove excess oil if any
- Add the zucchini, season with salt and cook till tender
- Turn off the heat and pour in the egg mixture and mix through the spaghetti till everything is well coated.
- Serve with some freshly grated parmesan on top.