5 Ingredient Keto Butter Chicken
Easy Butter Chicken
If it isn’t obvious yet, I love butter chicken. In fact I love it so much that I have 5 different versions of butter chicken. The first one was made during the old days of the show. I make a ‘Sacred Mother Butter Chicken’ for guitarist Andy James. I followed it up with some Bacon Butter Chicken during my Bacon Tadka stint. And then once I started making Keto recipes I made three more. A white butter chicken, an easy butter chicken and butter chicken wings.
Today I’m simplifying butter chicken even further with this awesome 5 ingredient version of the dish. So enough jibber jabber, let’s cook!
Why this butter chicken?
The world is currently affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. It’s made getting our regular groceries a bit hard and there is a good chance people will not have access to all the things they normally do. Butter chicken for me has those essential flavours. Chicken, tomato. cream and kasuri methi. I think more than the butter it’s these ingredients that are the hallmark flavours of butter chicken. Based on this I was able to consolidate this recipe to 5 ingredients.
But is it as good as the others? Of course not, it will lack some ‘depth of flavour’. Despite my father tasting it in the video and not having a clue, my wife who tried it off camera said it was ‘missing something’. I wasn’t surprised to say the least. I thought it did the job of being the butter chicken we need. In times like this when you craving that butter chicken this is the one that will fill the void. So enjoy it and feel free to add more ingredients depending on what you have lying around at home.
Nutrition Info (Per serving)
- Calories: 370
- Net Carbs: 5g
- Carbs: 5g
- Fat: 26g
- Protein: 26g
- Fiber: 0g
This recipe makes 3 servings. Get this recipe on myfitnesspal. Now the 5g carbs are largely coming from the store bought tomato puree that I’m using which obviously has a few more ingredients in it. However if you use less tomato puree like 100ml instead of the 150ml I used and/or you use just fresh tomato that you puree yourself it will be lower on the carb count.
5 Ingredient Keto Butter Chicken
- 450 grams Boneless & Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 15 grams Butter Order online
- 1 Tsp Kasuri Meth/Dried Fenugreek Leaves Order online
- 150 ml Tomato Puree Order online
- 100 ml Heavy Cream Order online
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil Order online
- 50 ml Water
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Then heat the avocado oil in a pan and once it's nice and hot, pan fry the chicken for about 3-4 minutes on each side till fully cooked. You want the heat up a bit so you can get a nice colour on the chicken. Once cooked set it aside.
- In the same pan heat the butter and once it's melted add in the tomato puree and mix well till it emulsifies. Then add in the kasuri methi and water and cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes of cooking the oil should have split from the tomato puree and then you want to give everything a good mix and turn down the heat to low before adding in the heavy cream. Once again give it all a good mix till everything has emulsified.
- Then add in the chicken. I have added it whole in the video but I would recommend chopping it up and then adding it to the sauce. Let it just heat through with the sauce for about a minute on a low heat and then take it off the stove.
- Serve with cauliflower rice or Keto naan.
Hi Sahil, amazing recipe and video as always. Sorry to be a pain, but what other herb can I use instead of Kasuri Meth. I’m in the UK and I don’t remember ever coming across it. Thanks! x
Hi Susana, you will get it in your local Indian grocery store and also on Amazon. I guess if there is no option I would use cilantro/coriander right at the very end. I’d all maybe add some onion/garlic/ginger if you have some before the tomato puree goes in.
Tesco do them
Is this receipe 2 or 3 servings? With the nutritional information you wrote 3 but with the recipe it says 2. Just wondering for portion sizing
3 servings. Just fixed the error. Thanks for pointing it out.
Hey Sahil, big fan! Could you share a link of the puree you use please? When I click the order online link for the tomato puree it brings me to an isopropyl cleaning alcohol page. I used tomato puree and it didn’t look like what you used in the video. It also tasted a bit strong even though I weighed it. What you use looks more like crushed tinned tomatoes or passata to me. Thanks!
Hey Paul, I keep changing the puree I use and because of where I am located (India) it’s hard to ensure the link clicks hit the absolute right product on every amazon because the products vary across the country. I would say just find the most Keto friendly puree you can find in your supermarket or online. You want something with no added sugar and as few carbs as possible. You can also make your own puree by blitzing fresh tomatoes and straining it to keep the skin and seeds out. Or use canned ones as well, all of them will work and do the job. Cheers!
Ah perfect thanks I’ll just blitz some fresh ones then. Really appreciate the 5 ingredient recipes during lockdown. I’ve made the alfredo so many times lol the fam love it. Rock on brother!
Great Curry, simple recipe, one thing I need to say though…….. that photo just isn’t you – caption horns up just doesn’t go……… #Headbanger
Not sure if I can help with that. Glad you enjoyed the curry.
Really grateful to Headbanger’s Kitchen!! Didn’t know that so many tasty recipes existed.. minus the carbs and calories
Hi what can we use instead of avocado oil?
Olive oil, butter, ghee, coconut oil etc. Any KETO APPROVED cooking fat.
I would like to know if this actually taste like butter childen without any spices?
It does but it’s definitely a ‘lite’ version of the dish. But you’ll still feel like it’s butter chicken just not a heavily spiced one.