Keto Mac & Cheese, Yes please!
Life doesn’t always go according to plan. I had planned to cook a different dish for this episode but alas! it just wasn’t my day. When my original recipe flopped I pondered over what I should cook. I remembered I had some pulled pork in the freezer and that’s how this dish was born. Today I’m going to show you how to make a pulled pork Keto mac and cheese. When I made the first Keto mac and cheese recipe I had used cauliflower to replace the traditional macaroni. In today’s recipe I’m adding broccoli to the mix as well.
I’ve already done the recipe for the pulled pork. You can however use any meat you like or you can even skip it for a completely vegetarian version. Anyway enough jibber jabber, lettuce cook!
Cauliflower vs Broccoli
You would have noticed that in this recipe I cooked the cauliflower but left the broccoli raw before baking. The reason because they have different cooking times, cauliflower takes a lot longer to cook while broccoli is done in a jiffy. This recipe can be done with just cauliflower or just broccoli. You could even throw in some cabbage instead. The real key component here is the sauce itself.
I hope you have fun with this recipe and I’d love to know in the comments your own variations of the dish.
Nutrition Info (Per serving)
- Calories: 382
- Net Carbs: 7g
- Carbs: 10g
- Fat: 31g
- Protein: 18g
- Fiber: 3g
This recipe makes 4 servings. Get this recipe on myfitnesspal.
Pulled Pork Mac And Cheese
- 250 grams Cauliflower
- 250 grams broccoli
- 150 grams Pulled Pork Get the recipe here
- 100 ml Heavy Cream/Double Cream
- 100 grams Cheese Use your favourite, I used half cheddar and half mozzarella
- 30 grams Red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp White Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg Powder
- Parsley for garnish
- 100 ml Water
- 2 Tbsp Pork Fat/Lard for cooking You can alternatively use butter, ghee or olive oil
- 20 grams Cream Cheese
- Cut, wash and separate the cauliflower and broccoli into florets. Set aside 250grams of each for this recipe.
- Microwave the cauliflower for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Heat the pork fat in a frying pan and add in the onions and garlic and once they start to sizzle add in the black pepper, white pepper, nutmeg and salt.
- Cook the onions and garlic along with the spices on a lowish heat till they start to turn a nice rich brown colour.
- Deglaze the pan with the water and give it all a good mix.
- Now add the cream cheese and grate in 50grams of the cheddar/mozzarella cheese that you are using and mix well. The cheese should melt and emulsify to form a sauce. Reduce this down till it's at a syrup like consistency.
- Add in the heavy whipping cream and mix everything well. Cook further till it's at a consistency you like. I look for a rich but still fluid kind of sauce. Once done, turn off the stove and set aside.
- Add the raw broccoli in the bowl with the microwaved cauliflower and also add in the pulled pork. Give it all a good mix.
- Pour over the sauce and give it a final good mix.
- Pour the mixture into a cast iron pan or any oven proof dish. Grate the remaining cheese over it.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 220C for about 15-20 minutes till the broccoli is tender and the cheese on top is nice and golden brown.
- Remove and garnish with parsley