Spice up breakfast with Keto Upma
One of the things I hear most often from people is that they are sick of eating eggs for breakfast and want a change. So today I decided to recreate a popular vegetarian, south Indian breakfast item called Upma which is originally made from semolina and of course we’re making a keto version of it and we’re using cauliflower. Trust me though, you will love it. Cheers!
More than just eggs for breakfast
A lot of people seem to think that breakfast is only bacon and eggs. They also think there are no nothing options and often find themselves struggling for breakfast ideas. Growing up in India meant even though I ate mostly eggs and toast for breakfast, I was exposed to a wide variety of non egg dishes too. One of my personal favourites is the Keto Dosa for breakfast with the coconut chutney. It really hits all the spots. If I’ve looking for something a bit sweeter, I’ve got the option of Keto waffles. I’ve even got a McDonalds style McMuffin Sandwich to curb those junk food cravings. Breakfast can always be more than just BAE (bacon and eggs).
Nutrition Info (Per serving)
- Calories: 223
- Net Carbs: 6g
- Carbs: 9g
- Fat: 20g
- Protein: 5g
- Fiber: 3g
This recipe makes 2 servings. Or it could be 1 big serving. Depending on how much you eat.
Get this recipe on myfitnesspal.
Keto Upma (Indian Breakfast Dish)
- Blitz the cauliflower florets in a food processor with the blade attachment to get a cous cous type consistency
- Head 2 tbsp ghee in a kadahi/wok/frying pan and add in the mustard seeds and cumin.
- Once they start to sizzle add in the onion, curry leaves, ginger and chilly and season with salt
- Fry the onions till they are translucent and just start colouring.
- Add in the cauliflower and fry for a few minutes
- Add a cup of water and cover and cook for 10 minutes
- Keep checking and stirring every few minutes to ensure nothing sticks.
- Cook till the water dries up and finish with fresh coriander.