The magical no carb meat treat
Call it a meatzza, a keto pizza or a meat crust pizza; this meaty wonder goes by many names. I made the Undying Meatzza 4 years ago, when Headbanger’s Kitchen was a metal music and cooking show. Back then, it was meant as a parody of dude food, a meat and cheese heavy dish that you’d expect manly men to eat while sitting around listening to heavy metal and thumping their chests. Little did I know that years down the line it would also be the perfect keto snack (or a main course!), perfect in its low-carb goodness but packed full of good protein and fat.
Today I’m putting a new spin on the recipe. We’re making our low carb pizza crust – no, wait, hold that thought, it’s actually a no carb pizza crust! – with chicken mince. We’re topping it with mushroom and pepperoni and using pesto instead of tomato sauce. You can make this with your choice of meat and toppings – the world is your oyster.
Use your choice of meat for the crust
Now I used a wire rack and a baking tray for this, because I did not want it to be swimming in it’s own juices (not that it’s a bad thing). I used chicken mince for the base, but you can really play around and use even beef or pork if you choose. In fact the original recipe was made using beef mince and was a much larger portion, since I had four beefy guys from metal band Undying Inc on the show to come and taste it. That was quite an event.
If you’re looking for something less chunky, swing by our other keto pizza, the fathead crust pizza, that uses an almond flour base. If you’re feeling like you need to squeeze more vegetables in, we also have a cauliflower crust pizza. Do take a look!
Nutrition Info (Per Serving)
- Calories: 417
- Net Carbs: 1g
- Carbs: 2g
- Fat: 26g
- Protein: 36g
- Fiber: 1g
This recipe makes 2 servings. Get this recipe on myfitnesspal.
Meatazza (Meat Crust Pizza)
- Season the mince with salt, pepper and herbs of choice. Mix well and set aside
- Spray/coat your cold pan with olive oil, add the mince and shape into a pizza base
- Fry on a high heat till the chicken starts cooking evenly
- Once it's almost cooked all the way through remove from pan onto a wire rack
- Spread the pesto on top, add the mushrooms, cheese and pepperoni (or toppings of your choice)
- Put it on the rack in the oven on the highest temp with the broiler setting on
- Cook for about 10 minutes, or till the cheese is nice and melted and golden brown
- Remove and serve!