Welcome to Keto For Beginners – Week 3
Welcome to Keto for beginners. It’s time for the Keto meal plan for week 3 of your Keto diet.
It’s important to remember that I’m NOT a doctor, nutritionist or dietitian. I’m just a musician/Youtuber who has done Keto so please do not take any of this as medical advise. If you have pre-existing conditions please consult your doctor or a qualified professional before doing anything. This is simply a resource for people who need it. So please treat this as a disclaimer before proceeding. Enjoy the video below and then carry on reading.
Food Substitutes & Information
Below you will find the full menu with possible substitutes for the various ingredients. If you are looking for a particular substitute you can leave a comment if you don’t find it mentioned.
Breakfast – The masala omelet. So you can eat some salad on the side of the omelet actually if you like. Some lettuce, tomato, cumber. I personally don’t have issues with carbs from vegetables and I think they are ok. In terms of substitutes here there is nothing. You can omit ingredients if you don’t like something. So perhaps you don’t like coriander, skip it. You don’t have tumeric at home, leave that out. You can also turn this into a scrambled egg instead of an omelet. In terms of cooking fat if you don’t have ghee, avocado oil, bacon fat, butter etc are all fine. As for the cheese, use any that you like.
Lunch – HK’s Chilli con carne served with avocado and sour cream. The most obvious substitute here is the meat. So if you don’t have or like beef you can make this with lamb or chicken or pork. Basically any ground meat works. If you are vegetarian I would recommend you actually make my palak paneer instead and eat that. If you don’t like avocado you can swap that out for a side of creamed spinach. So a bag of spinach cooked with 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp heavy cream, salt and pepper. That’s a good replacement.
Snack – Sauteed garlic butter mushrooms stuffed with feta cheese. Once again you can use any cheese you like. It’s the same with the cooking fat. If you don’t like mushrooms you can repeat one of the snacks from week 1 or week 2. In terms of herbs you can use parsley instead. You can also skip the garlic and use garlic powder if you like.
Dinner – Salmon & Asparagus in a creamy lemon sauce. I would definitely recommend Salmon with the skin on so you can get that nice crispy skin, however you can use skinless fillets like I did. You can pretty much use any fish you like, you could also make this recipe with prawns or squid. If you don’t like seafood then you can do this with chicken as well. The replacement for asparagus is green beans or broccoli. The idea is more about having a well balanced meal with some meat, veggies and a nice fatty sauce.
Make sure you stay hydrated. Drink at least 2 liters of water during the day as your body doesn’t retain water on Keto. This might also lead to a very quick weight loss during the first week. Don’t get excited it’s probably just water weight. But keep a bottle with you at all times and keep sipping.
Salt your food
Given that you’re body isn’t retaining water you will also be short on your electrolytes, that’s sodium, potassium and magnesium. You can always take a supplement for these but you still want to be generous with the salt on your food. Try to get some good quality salt. Sea salt, pink salt, etc are all good. You can also get some low sodium salt which is a great source of potassium.
Prepare for the Keto flu
Don’t panic. It’s nothing serious. You might just feel ‘bleh’ for a couple of days as your body adapts to Keto. This is normal. After all this is new for your body and also whenever you try to lose weight it does often result in us not feeling optimal. What you can do for this is just take some supplements for it for your electrolytes as I mentioned above or have enough salt in your food. Both the low sodium salt and regular salt. Sometimes you can drink a glass of water with a squeeze of lemon juice and salt. This stuff helps. However after a day or 2 of this you should be fine as your body slowly adapts to your new diet.
So that’s all folks. If you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Just edit the quantities based on your appetite. If you have left over food you can always freeze it for up to a full month. So this is more just a list, quantities will vary based on how much you eat. Also double check if you have any of these things left over from last weeks meal prep before buying fresh stuff.
- Red Onion
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder (or any chilli powder)
- Salt (sea salt, pink salt, table salt whichever one you want)
- Black Pepper
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Cheese (get any of your choice, cheddar works well)
- Avocado Oil
- Ground Beef
- Tomato Puree (or tomato paste or even fresh tomatoes)
- Beef stock cube or beef stock (bone broth is also fine)
- Sour Cream
- Feta Cheese (can also get goat’s cheese or anything you like)
That should cover everything. Adjust the quantities based on how much you are going to eat. For example if you eat 2 eggs a day then that’s 14 eggs you need in total. If you eat say 3 slices of bacon a day and a packet has 12 slices then buy 2 packets. You get the idea. And just a reminder for my Indian viewers to check my Shopping guide for Indians for suggested brands.
Cooking for 7 days!
The breakfast and the snack recipes are single servings and honestly are things you can whip up in no time. You can of course multiply the recipes and get your cooking done well in advance. The lunch recipe makes 4 servings. Dinner is a single serving of fish and sauce which you can double or tripple and make a big batch of. The asparagus is about 2 servings. My best recommendation is that get your cooking done on 1 day for the entire week. At least for the lunch and dinner. You can easily reheat the, in the microwave. Anyway I leave it up to you. Enjoy the meal plan.
Keto For Beginners - Free Keto Meal Plan
Breakfast - Masala Omelet
- 3 Eggs
- 20 grams Cheese
- 20 grams Red onion
- 1 Tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Tsp Tumeric
- 1/2 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Lunch - Chilli Con Carne
- 500 grams Beef Mince Try and get 80-20 ground beef
- 100 grams Red onion Sliced
- 10 grams garlic
- 200 ml Tomato Puree You can also use fresh tomatoes or tomato paste and water
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 Beef Stock Cube Or 250ml of beef stock
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- a few sprigs of rosemary
- 200 ml Water
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 Tbsp Sour Cream This is the amount for a single serving of chilli
- Coriander for Garnish
- a few drops of lime juice
- Salt to Taste
Snack - Sauteed Mushrooms stuffed with Feta
- 100 grams White Mushrooms
- 5 grams garlic
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 30 grams Feta Cheese
- Fresh Basil for garnish
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Dinner - Salmon with Asparagus in a creamy lemon sauce
- 150 grams Salmon Filet
- 400 grams Asparagus
- 5 grams Capers
- 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream/Double Cream
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 10 grams Red onion diced
- 10 grams garlic
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Parsley
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Crack the 3 eggs into a bowl and add in the chopped onion, coriander, salt, pepper, tumeric, chilli powder and heavy cream and beat well.
- Heat the ghee in a frying pan and once melted add in the beaten eggs. Grate in the cheese and cover and cook for about 4 minutes. Fold the egg and finish cooking.
- Serve with a side of salad.
- Heat the avocado oil in the pan and add in the onions and cook on a medium-low heat for about 5-7 minutes till the onion has softened and is starting to get some colour. Add in the garlic and cook till golden brown.
- Then add the ground beef and cook for 5 minutes constantly stirring and breaking up any lumps that form. You can then season it with the salt, pepper, paprika, cumin and also throw in the rosemary spring. You can also use any dried herbs you like instead like oregano or marjoram.
- Cook the beef with the spices for about a minute and then add in the tomato puree, beef stock cube and water and give everything a good mix and cover and cook for 20-25 minutes. Even 5 minutes just open the lid, give everything a good mix and keep coking.
- After 25 minutes the chilli on carne is ready. Slice your avocado and season with salt and the lime juice. Serve the avocado along with the chilli and top with 1 tbsp of sour cream per portion. Enjoy!
- Separate the mushroom caps from the stalks. Heat the butter in your frying pan and once it melts add in the garlic and cook till it starts to turn golden brown.
- Add in the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and pan fry. The mushrooms will release their water and you want to cook that out completely till the mushrooms start to caramelize and get some colour.
- Once done remove from the pan and top/fill with the feta cheese and garnish with chopped basil.
- Prepare the asparagus by chopping off the bottom woody part of the asparagus which you don't want to eat. Heat 1 tbsp of butter in your pan and add in the garlic. Once the butter has melted and the garlic is tarting to brown add in the asparagus and season with salt and pepper. Add in about 50ml of water and cover and cook with the lid on for about 4-5 minutes.
- After 4-5 minutes the water will evaporate and you want to cook the asparagus till it's perfectly tender and has some colour on it. Once you have achieved that remove the asparagus and set it aside.
- In the same pan add a tbsp of butter and while it melts season your salmon filet with salt and pepper and then place in the frying pan. Cook for about 3-4 minutes each side till it's perfectly cooked all the way through or to your liking. Remove and set the fish aside.
- Then add 1 tbsp of butter to the pan along with the red onion and fry. Add in the lemon zest, lemon juice, capers and 2 tbsp of water. Mix well and let it cook for a minute. Then add in the heavy cream and if it's too thick add some more water.
- Taste and season as required and finish the sauce with some fresh parsley. Serve the fish over a bed of asparagus and pour the sauce right over it.