Salmon in a creamy bell pepper sauce
If you looked in the supermarkets of India or even restaurant menus about 10 years ago, you’d have never seen ‘salmon’ anywhere. I think it was when the fine dining scene started taking off in the country and sushi restaurants started popping up did salmon start to appear on restaurant menus. It’s only very recently that it’s become a staple in the frozen and fresh fish sections of the bigger supermarkets that cater to the more economically prosperous people. Why? Because it’s expensive, it’s a luxury item and it’s unlikely that the average Indian will really give a hoot about it. I do occasionally indulge and treat myself to salmon but it’s only been in recent times. I was very lucky that the folks at Cambay Tiger sent me some salmon fillets to try (they are one of the new suppliers in town for seafood products) and I figured why not make a killer recipe for you guys using it. So here I am making a pan seared salmon with a delicious and creamy bell pepper sauce.
Cooking with Salmon
In general, seafood doesn’t take very long to cook. Salmon is a fish with a very delicate flavour and you ideally don’t want to over cook it. You still want the inside nice and pink and juicy. I always start the salmon skin side down and allow that to crisp up. While resting the fish make sure the skin side is up so that it doesn’t get soggy. Chances are you will put it on a plate to rest instead of a rack. If you aren’t a big fan of fish you can also substitute the salmon in this recipe for chicken or some lean pork. Let me know what you do. Cheers!
Macros & Nutrition
In the nutrition information below I’ve basically given you the macros for the sauce which makes about 3 servings. I suggest you calculate the salmon macros as per the weight of the fillet you are cooking for yourself. I generally recommend about a 150 gram size fillet for a single serving. 100 grams of salmon has about 208 calories, 13 grams of fat and 20 grams of protein. So this is a great macro breakdown for Keto, top the salmon with this sauce and a side of spinach and you have an incredibly balanced and nutritious meal. Speaking of spinach, here is my recipe for a delicious Keto creamed spinach. So enjoy!
Nutrition Info (Per serving)
- Calories: 130
- Net Carbs: 4g
- Carbs: 5g
- Fat: 12g
- Protein: 1g
- Fiber: 1g
This recipe makes 3 servings. The macros are just for the sauce, please input the macros for the salmon separately based on the weight of the fillet. Get this recipe on myfitnesspal.
Keto Pan Seared Salmon
- 450 grams Salmon Fillets (150 grams each fillet)
- 100 ml Heavy Cream/Double Cream
- 50 grams Red Bell Peppers Diced
- 50 grams Yellow Bell Peppers Diced
- 10 grams Chopped Garlic
- 1 Tsp Old Bay Seasoning I use this one
- 1 Tbsp olive oil I use this one
- 1 Tbsp Butter I recommend this one
- 1/4 Chicken Stock Cube I recommend this one
- 1 Tsp Chopped Parsley
- Start by prepping the salmon fillets. Score the skin with a sharp knife and then season generously with Old Bay. Alternatively you can use salt and pepper and any other spices you like.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and place the salmon skin skin side down and cook for 2 minutes or till skin is crispy. Flip over and cook for a further minute and for about 30 seconds on the sides as well. When done, remove from the pan.
- In the same skillet heat up the butter and add in the garlic and bell peppers and sautee.
- Season with the stock cube and add water as required.
- Once you reach a gentle simmer then add in the cream and give it all a good mix.
- Turn off the heat and finish with the freshly chopped parsley
- Serve the salmon with a side of sauteed or creamed spinach and this lovely sauce.