Bring in that holiday spirit!
Pumpkin spice in a cake reminds me of two things. Holidays and High tea. This is an easy to make recipe that’s perfect for either. If you celebrating holidays and want your kitchen to smell like it, then this mug cake will do that. With this easy mug cake you can have all the fun without the fuss. Make a big batch of my cream cheese frosting and use it on all the various mug cakes you can make. Anyway enough jibber jabber, enough the recipe.
Tips & Tricks!
A couple of things to keep in mind while making this.
Xanthan Gum – Honestly since I made the same recipe (minus the pumpkin spice) without the gum I felt it wasn’t really needed at all. So it’s really an optional ingredient. You could throw in a half tsp of psyllium husk for some more ‘texture’ in the cake.
Cooking time – For me 90 seconds cooked the cake all the way through. However if you find it too ‘dry’ then microwave about 15 seconds less. Also do that if you want a more ‘gooey’ cake. Like that sort of lava cake texture. All microwaves vary. You can also do this in the oven. Pop it in for maybe 5-6 minutes at 190C. Use the toothpick test to see if it’s done. Honestly I always feel that these cakes cook better in the oven. The microwave is really just about convenience.
Pumpkin Spice – That was just my flavour of choice but replace that with cocoa powder and you got a chocolate cake. Leave it out and you got a plain sponge. Don’t have pumpkin spice but still want that holiday kind of cake? Use some cinnamon, ground nutmeg and five spice to bring that holiday spirit home.
Vanilla Extact – I forgot to add it in my video. It’s there in the written recipe.
Nutrition Info (Per serving)
- Calories: 421
- Net Carbs: 6g
- Carbs: 14g
- Fat: 38g
- Protein: 14g
- Fiber: 8g
This recipe makes 1 servings. Get this recipe on myfitnesspal. The macros do not include the frosting but it does include all the walnuts used. It’s also missing 25 calories from the Lakanto Maple flavoured syrup as I don’t include sugar alcohols in the macros. Everything else is the same. So just the calories per serving would be 446 instead.
Nutrition Info (Per serving) – For the frosting
- Calories: 146
- Net Carbs: 1g
- Carbs: 1g
- Fat: 15g
- Protein: 2g
- Fiber: 0g
This recipe uses 1 serving of the frosting. Get the full recipe for the frosting here.
Keto Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake
- 15 grams Almond Flour I use this
- 15 grams Coconut Flour Try this
- 15 grams Walnuts
- 1/2 Tsp Pumpkin Spice Buy Online
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder Buy Online
- 15 grams Melted Butter Try this
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract I use this
- 2 Tbsp Maple Flavoured Syrup (Keto Friendly) I use this
- 1/8 Tsp Xanthan Gum (Optional) Buy Online
- 1 Serving Headbanger's Kitchen Cream Cheese Frosting Get the recipe here
- 1 Egg
- Roughly chop the walnuts and then toast them in a dry frying pan for about 3-4 minutes of a medium-low heat and then set them aside and let them cool.
- In a bowl mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, pumpkin spice and baking powder. Then add in the wet ingredients, the melted butter, vanilla, maple flavoured syrup and egg and mix well.
- Add about 10grams of the walnuts to the batter and fold it in. Then pour into a mug or ramiken after lightly greasing it with butter.
- Microwave at full power for 90 seconds. Cooking time will vary up or down by 30 seconds depending on the power of your microwave. What you can do is start with 60 seconds and then cook more if required. Obviously for a slightly more moist and gooey cake microwave it for about 10 seconds less.
- Once the cake is cooked and has been cooled to room temperature just top it with the cream cheese frosting and finish by sprinkling those left over 5g of walnuts on top.