From Keto meat balls to Keto meat sauce
My previous recipe was a delicious Keto Spaghetti and Meat balls recipe where I used ground beef and ground pork as my choice of protein for the meat balls. Since I purchased 1/2 kg packets and I used half of each meat, I had some left over. I also had some of those canned tomatoes. It was like the ingredients aligned and I knew I had to create the ultimate Keto Meat Sauce/Bolognese/Ragu.
I watched a bunch of videos and figured out the subtle differences between a Bolognese and a Ragu. They come from different parts of Italy, one uses white wine, the other red and they are eaten with different kinds of pasta. After much consideration I realized that the Keto version of both these incredible Italian sauces would be pretty much the same.
So give it a try, it’s great to cook in a big batch as it freezes really well. You can use it in many ways, perhaps just poured over some zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice, maybe make a lasagna with it or maybe just substitute it for the marinara sauce in my eggplant Parmesan or eggplant involtini recipe.
The finer details
You can substitute the pork and beef for a single meat of your choice. Alternatively you can use lamb and chicken as well for this recipe. To up the fat content even more you can use ground meat with a higher fat %. I am unable to do this due to the only lean meat being available here in India. Also you can skip the cream and use coconut cream for a dairy free version, just remember it won’t taste the same and don’t call it a ragu or a bolognese.
Nutrition Info (For 1 serving)
- Calories: 289
- Net Carbs: 3g
- Carbs: 5g
- Fat: 22g
- Protein: 18g
- Fiber: 2g
This recipe makes 6 servings. Get this recipe on myfitnesspal.
Keto Meat Sauce | Keto Bolognese | Keto Ragu
- 250 grams Beef Mince (Ground Beef)
- 250 grams Pork Mince (Ground Pork)
- 50 grams Red onion
- 100 grams Tomato
- 50 ml Water
- 10 grams garlic
- 100 grams White Mushroms
- 100 grams Baby Spinach
- 100 ml Heavy Cream/Double Cream
- 5 grams Chopped Parsley
- 1 Beef/Chicken Stock Cube I recommend this one
- Few springs of thyme
- Fresh or Dried Oregano Try this one
- Red Chilli Flakes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 15 grams Butter
- 15 ml olive oil
- Heat up the olive oil and butter in a frying pan
- Grate the red onion and add to the pan and cook till translucent
- Add in the beef and pork mince and stir well breaking up the meat and not letting it lump up
- Season with salt, pepper, chilli flakes and dried oregano
- Add in the fresh thyme and garlic and cook down. Then chop and add the mushrooms to the pan.
- Add the tomatoes and water and season with the stock cube. Cover and cook for 15 minutes
- Keep checking the sauce and making sure nothing sticks and that there is enough liquid. Add water if needed
- Once nearly done add the spinach and cover and let them wilt for 1-2 minutes
- Stir in the spinach and finish with the heavy cream and the parsley