Layered Potato Casserole
Rakott Krumpli is a Hungarian Potato Casserole dish. But potatoes are not Keto. Though I’ve mentioned it so many times it might kick a few of you out of Ketosis. But back to business. Cauliflower is the new potato. I’ve been saying this for a while now. This Hungarian classic is layered potatoes, sausage, eggs and sour cream. It’s a pretty basic dish. In my version we’re going to use cauliflower and we’re also going to throw in a bit of cheese for good measure. As I’ve noticed, all the Hungarian recipes I’ve checked each has a slight variation on how they do things. So I’m just saying that I’ve done what I thought would be the best version to achieve the best taste. Anyway enjoy!
Bring out the flavour
Now that I’ve made the dish, tasted it and had time to reflect on it. I think there are a few tweaks that I would make to take it to the next level. For starters I’d probably use a mix of sour cream and heavy cream and I’d add some cheese to that mixture. I’d also like to throw in some herbs or at least something like a bit of nutmeg powder to give it some more depth of flavour. I’d also use bacon and crisp that up first, then the chorizo. I’d sprinkle the bacon on top after chopping it.
Of course you can stick to the original if you prefer or you can tweak it to suit your taste buds. It’s completely up to you.
Nutrition Info (Per serving)
- Calories: 306
- Net Carbs: 4g
- Carbs: 6g
- Fat: 25g
- Protein: 17g
- Fiber: 2g
This recipe makes 8 servings. Get this recipe on myfitnesspal.
Keto Hungarian Potato Casserole (Rakott Krumpli)
- Start by placing the eggs in a saucepan and then covering them with water. Place on a medium heat on the stove till the water starts to bubble and then turn to low and cook for 10 minutes. Cool and peel the eggs once boiled.
- Boil the entire head of cauliflower for 10 minutes and then once it has cooled slice it up or separate the florets.
- Remove the sour cream in a bowl and season with salt and pepper and allow to come to room temperature.
- Chop the chorizo and then fry in the goose fat till nice and crispy. Once done remove with a slotted spoon.
- Pour all the fat from the frying of the chorizo into the sour cream and whisk together.
- Preheat the oven to 200C while you layer the casserole.
- Start with some sour cream at the bottom of the casserole dish followed by a layer of cauliflower, a layer of sausage, then slice and place the boiled eggs over. Pour some sour cream over the eggs and then another layer of cauliflower and a final layer of sour cream.
- Then add the cheese on top and a sprinkling of paprika after which you put in the oven for 20-30 minutes or till the cheese on top is nice and brown.
- And that's it. Your Rakott Krumpli is ready to serve!